Thursday, March 5, 2009

"I haven't done that since high school..."

If you've been around me for more than two hours at Harding, you've probably heard me say the above phrase. It's always a joke about something absolutely ridiculous that no one that I know or am friends with (or myself) would EVER do, but it always gets a laugh, which is my main goal in almost everything that I say anyway.

The point: I think about high school a lot.

I always think about how many people I was friends with (that is NOT meant to sound the way most of you probably heard it), the different groups I would interact with, the teachers whom I would visit every day during breaks, and the different sports teams I was a part of. I played soccer all four years, and ran indoor and outdoor track for my first two years. After that, I did the spring musical. (I did the fall play my senior year, but I joined during show week only because someone got sick.)

Chosing to go away to college was one of the easiest and most difficult decisions I've ever had to make. Part of this might have to do with the fact that my two best friends chose to go to the same school...15 minutes away from home. Probably 90% of my graduating class stayed in NJ...and the majority of them went to community college. Another 5% of my class was divided between schools in PA or DE or something of the sort. People just...DIDN'T leave. But I did.

I look on facebook at the people who are still bffs with the people they were in high school. They know each other SO well, and continue to make memories that will probably last forever...as long as they all stay in their NJ friend pool. And I know I'm out of the loop on a lot of things when I go home. I can't possibly be as involved in everyone's lives like I wish I could be while still focusing on my life at school. It would wear me down. And it's sad...and I miss home a lot. I miss high school a lot.

Am I writing this to say that I regret going 1100 miles away to school? No. Just stating something that often crosses my mind. I wouldn't be who I am today if I didn't leave NJ and go to school where I am now. I know that my high school reunions will be interesting, because while I know that so much of me is still the Mary that everyone knew in high school...most of them wouldn't recognize me by who I am now.

If I didn't come here, I wouldn't have met some of the most amazing people I will ever be blessed to know. I am blessed beyond all reason. I am surrounded by people who care about me. I am surrounded by people who love. And while I thought that high school was the time of my life, college is proving to be pretty amazing, too.

3 comments:

Ashley Nicole said...

I miss high school too....coming here, while I deny it 90% of the time was the best decision that could have ever been made for me. Cause people like you are in my life now :) Thank God

Sarah said...

I feel the exact same way! I'm one of the few people I grew up with who left Alabama.

Alex said...

Strangely, despite the fact that I stayed in my hometown to go to college, I had very few friends carry over from high school. I fear that I will experience something akin to this when I go to grad school outside of Arkansas.